Using Multiple Volumes Feature of OE Backup
What's multiple volumes feature?
By default, OE Backup will save the data to a single backup file for a backup
With multiple volumes feature, you can let OE Backup to save the backup file
to multiple files. Since the backup files created by OE Backup are in ZIP file
format, the multiple volumes feature is similar to the disk spanning of ZIP
- For backing up data to FAT32 file system: if you save your backup
files to FAT32 file system, the backup files can not be larger than 4GB, this
is the limitation of FAT32 file system. So you will need to split the backup
file to multiple volumes to ensure that each volume won't be larger than 4GB.
- For burning the backup files to CD/DVD: Normally we will use ISO9660
when creating a DVD image, but a DVD in ISO9660 format won't allow you to
have files larger than 2GB on it. If you don't want to use UDF file format
(which has not the limit), then you will need to split the backup file to
multiple volumes in order to save the backup files to the DVD-R.
- ZIP file format limit: OE Backup uses ZIP file format to save the
backup data, so you can open the backup files with WinZIP or WinRAR. The problem
is that the ZIP file format don't allow you to create a file that larger than
4GB. So if you have more than 4GB data, you need to split the backup file
to multiple volumes.
By default, OE Backup won't use multiple volumes feature, even if it could
not backup the data correctly. This feature also won't be found in the options
of OE Backup.
To use this feature, you need to create a registry value as following:
- Location: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\TopLang\OEBackup\OEBDB\Span
- Type: DWORD
- The value Span specifies the size of each volume. For example:
FFFFFFFF = 4 GB
7FFFFFFF = 2 GB
- When Span=0, the multiple volumes feature is disabled.
You can create a .reg file to import the value directly:
Change the 7fffffff to other value to change the size of each volume.
You can also download any of the following reg files to enable the multiple
volumes feature directly:
Download this file to enable multiple volumes feature with 2GB per volume.
Download this file to enable multiple volumes feature with 4GB per volume.
Download this file to disable the multiple volumes feature.
- When Span = 0, then multiple volumes feature is disabled.
- The minimal value of the Span is 1 MB, if you specify a value that
smaller than 1MB then it will use 4GB.
- If your data can be saved in a single volume, then OE Backup won't create
- Using multiple volumes feature will allow you to create the backup files
that larger than 4 GB, but a single file in the backup file always can not
be larger then 4 GB.
- OE Backup won't delete the additional volumes automatically.
Size: 1.29 MB
Platforms: Windows NT, 2000, XP, 2003, 98/Me, Vista